Error: linkLocal = 4, but newsLink is not a numeric spot. (newsLink = )
Lauren's First and Goal Fact Sheet
About Lauren's First and Goal
- Lauren’s First and Goal was established in 2004 by Marianne and John Loose in honor of their daughter Lauren, a pediatric brain and spinal cord tumor survivor.
- The mission of Lauren’s First and Goal is to provide financial support for brain tumor research and cancer services, to offer financial and emotional support to families living with pediatric cancer, and to increase awareness of the disease -- all through the funding gained through LFG Football Camp and charitable contributions.
- Since 2004, LFG has raised more than $2.1 million. More than $1.35 has gone directly to research facilities, while over $606,000 has been donated to pediatric cancer services and family support services.
- Lauren’s First and Goal is operated through the generosity of volunteers; no one involved with the organization has ever received a salary.
- LFG’s primary fundraising events are annual football camps for high school student-athletes.
- Another fundraiser, Hope is Here to Stay, a children’s picture book that shares the story of Lauren and her family, was introduced in May 2009.
- The newest fundraiser, the Manual of Football Drills and Skills, was introduced in May 2011. The manual contains drills and game-management strategies from more than 130 coaches across the country.
About the camps
- LFG Football Camp is a one-day, non-contact camp for student-athletes entering grades 9-12 and current high school seniors. Participants receive instruction in a variety of offensive and defensive skills from volunteer college coaches from around the country.
- Student-athletes who pre-registered were asked to contribute a minimal registration fee that benefits LFG, with the first 400 pre-registered campers being guaranteed t-shirts.
- The 2017 camps were held on Sunday, June 4 in Easton, Pa. at Lafayette College's Metzgar Athletic Campus and Sunday, June 11 at Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio.
- Since 2004, 26,375 high school athletes have attended the camps in Pennsylvania, Florida and Ohio. The camps have grown from 320 participants in 2004 to a record 2,504 registered student-athletes in 2015.
- Students from 32 different states, Canada and Singapore have participated in LFG camps.
- More than 200 volunteers planned and executed the 2017 camps - 10 times the number of volunteers that were involved in the first camp in 2004.
- A total of 400 coaches, representing more than 112 different colleges and universities, volunteered at the 2017 camps (332 in PA, 68 in Ohio).
- LFG also held camps in Florida in 2008 and 2009.
- A 7-on-7 tournament was held on Long Island in 2010 and 2011 with proceeds benefitting LFG.